Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Music Time!







I may have been off the trolley to begin with......but I recently fell in love with the song "Paper Planes" by M.I.A. Thanks to Slumdog Millionaire of course. If you have not heard it yet, I suggest you scoot on over to Myspace Music and give it a listen.

Next, I was fortunate enough to catch Asher Roth on Last Call with Carson Daly about a month ago. He is what people like to refer to as "dope as hell", the song "I love college" hits home with me. It references classic college activities such as beer pong, societal rules for binge drinking, and perpetually getting over the night before. I am not going to lie and say that I can relate to gangsta rap by any means, so it is refreshing to hear somebody flow about something I am familiar with. I look for big things to come from this guy. If you are into feeling good whilst listening to some playful and joking rap, this guy is for you. I think he has an album in the works, so in the meantime some of his songs are available via iTunes. You can listen for free at Myspace Music.

I was happy to see that Kings of Leon finally got the recognition they deserved. They have been playing relative obscurity here in America since I found them in 2004. They are very much a classic rock, upbeat, bar tune type of band. I think what really separates them from the same old shit that comes out once a week, is the lead vocalist Caleb Followill. I may be tone deaf, but he sounds like a more refined Ozzy Osbourne. Their songs are fun, and mostly about loose women and drinking.

My personal favorite "soft" is off their debut album(and their best in my book) "Aha shake heartbreak". The song is about being in the proverbial situation of having a sexual encounter that is fueled by alcohol. Only this encounter is cut short by the realization that the man is unable to get an erection. I am sure some of the readers have experienced this in the past.

One of the more unknown facts about Kings of Leon is that many of their songs were featured on the HBO show "Entourage" during season one.

I will follow this post up with more suggestions for your play list. I hope you enjoy these finds as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment